UPI Audio (1958-1983) ---- UPI Radio Network (1983-1999)
Originally called UPI Audio and based in New York, it began as the first national wire service audio operation ... as an offshoot of UPI's newsfilm service for television in 1958.
It was separated from the film service in the early 60's, merged with competing service Radio Press International in 1966 and renamed UPI Radio Network in 1983.
At its peak in the early 80's, it had radio bureaus in Washington, London, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas and Miami.
Its head office was moved from New York to Washington in 1984, where it survived for 15 more years.
In August of 1999, its client contracts (and those of UPI's
broadcast wire) were sold to the rival Associated Press.
Click HERE to listen to UPI's annual news recaps from 1959 to 1994.
Click HERE to see pictures of the end of the UPI Audio / Radio service in 1999.
Click HERE for AUDIO, Billboards and messages about the end of UPI Audio / Radio service in 1999.